Moving to a retirement village is a big step and you’ve likely got a few questions. Here are some answers to a few of the more common queries. 


What kinds of homes are available at The Sterling, Kaiapoi?

The Sterling, Kaiapoi currently offers independent living villas, with care suites and memory care suites available as the village expands. No matter what your requirements, we will have homes and care options to suit your needs.

What care options are available at The Sterling, Kaiapoi?

In the future we will be able to provide as much or as little care as needed for our residents. We will encourage you to tailor your care package to specifically meet your needs at that moment – you will be able to change your mind at any time. You will simply be able to select from one of our four care packages or pick and mix services to meet your needs. To receive support in our care suites and memory care suites, you will need to have been assessed to receive residential aged care support.

Find out more about our care options here.

Who is responsible for insurance and rates at The Sterling, Kaiapoi?

Your outgoings fee covers the village buildings insurance, fire levies and council rates. You are responsible for your own personal insurances such as contents, motor vehicle (compulsory) and personal effects.

Can I have my car? Is parking available?

Absolutely. All our villas have a single garage and driveway allocated parking. Designated spaces are provided for all residents and visitors throughout the village.

Can I have people stay at my home?

Absolutely. We understand the importance of family and friends and they are welcome to stay for short periods of time, any time you wish. We ask that you let us know if anyone will be staying for more than a week at a time. We do expect that our residents’ guests will conduct themselves in a like-minded manner to our resident community.

Am I allowed pets?

Yes. Like family, pets play an important part in the lives of their owners. To bring a pet into the village, approval of the Village General Manager is required. All the pet owner’s responsibilities are to be carried out in accordance with the village rules.

What if I change my mind after I sign my Occupation Right Agreement (ORA)?

If you change your mind, there is a 15-working day ‘cooling off’ period from the time you sign your ORA and before moving into The Sterling, Kaiapoi, as per the Code of Practice 2008.

What happens if I change my mind after I’ve moved into the Village?

The Sterling, Kaiapoi provides a 90-day money back guarantee. Should you choose to leave inside that period, we will refund your entry payment without deduction, subject to the terms and conditions in the ORA. (You will still be responsible for your weekly village outgoing fee during your residency.)

Can I transfer my accommodation if it’s needed in the future?

Yes, you may. There are conditions that apply should you move from one independent living villa to another. These conditions require the termination of your current ORA and entering into a new ORA. The only fee payable is a 12.5% transfer charge. If you have lived in the village for three years or more, there will be no additional DMF. If you have lived in the village for less than three years, then the balance of the DMF is charged against the new unit entry price. Should you move into one of our care environments, then no transfer fee is applicable.

Will my privacy and independence be respected?

Yes. Life at The Sterling, Kaiapoi is about independence, security, connection and community. We will ensure that any personal information, including your medical records, are securely stored and we will not share any of your private or confidential information with anyone, other than persons properly authorised via power of attorney.

What is the process once my right to occupy ends and my accommodation is vacated? Who is responsible for the sale?

Our ORA is designed to impose no obligations on you after you have terminated your agreement with us. We are responsible and accountable for finding a new resident as quickly as possible. After you permanently vacate the unit and remove all your possessions, we will commence to refurbish your home and carry out all the sales and marketing, regularly reporting to you or your family on our progress. We welcome referrals from you or your family to help speed the process.

Who makes sure I get what I paid for?

Under the Retirements Villages Act 2003, a statutory supervisor must be appointed (unless an exemption is granted). Anchorage Trustee Services Limited is the statutory supervisor for The Sterling, Kaiapoi, overseeing the village’s management and financial position, and representing residents.

Are residents exclusively entitled to use all the community facilities?

The Sterling, Kaiapoi is unlike most other villages in that we encourage the intergenerational connection and therefore our village is not excluded from the general subdivision. We encourage those living in Silverstream and wider districts to visit our village, to have a coffee in our proposed café, and to participate (when appropriate at our discretion) with the rest of the residents playing bowls and/or croquet and/or using the putting surface. We also expect that from time to time there may be access to the swimming pool for non-residents on a fee-paying basis.

Who can I talk to if something isn’t right?

We’re sure you’ll love living at The Sterling, Kaiapoi. If you have concerns about something however, or if something just isn’t right, contact the Village General Manager in the first instance.

Make a Query

Got more questions? Reach out via the contact form below and we’ll be in touch as soon as possible.

Alternatively, you can contact a staff member by calling 0508 783 754 or simply email [email protected].